STUDENT PROFILE – Tom S.
- Domestic student with Asian parents
- Attended high school in Texas but not a standout
- Interested in math
- Began working with us in 9th grade
TOP TIER PROGRAMS USED
Early Action: Stanford, U Mich, U Texas
Regular: Columbia, Yale
WHAT WE DID
He looked just like every other Asian student – good at math and science, no other deep interests but he told us he really liked Latin – over the next 3 years, he focused as much on Latin (and late Greek) as he did on math which gave him two academic areas of focus: classics and high level math. He was also an excellent musician.
- He took advantage of online classes and summer programs to advance his study of Latin by 2 years and he also took Ancient Greek over the summer.
- Though he continued to do math contests and excel in math, many of his in school activities focused on classics.
- We had 3 summers to plan out classics and math related extras. He had a real gift for translating and aced his Latin AP exam, Latin subject test and got a great rec from his ancient Greek teacher.
Though Stanford is one of the toughest pools for Asian students, he was accepted EA at Stanford and then regular at Columbia and Yale – he eventually decided to attend Yale but was thrilled to have such high level choices.