As we’ve mentioned before, many of our students hope to attend MIT. We can’t blame them: ranked #7 by the US News and World Report, MIT boasts world-renowned programs in subjects ranging from engineering to linguistics. Applicants interested in attending the school will have to submit MIT’s own application, which became available online this month. Instead of one long essay, MIT asks for a series of short response essays.
MIT APPLICATION ESSAYS
Here are the prompts for each essay you’ll see on the application:
- We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do for the pleasure of it. (100 words or fewer)
- Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (100 words or fewer)
- At MIT, we bring people together to better the lives of others. MIT students work to improve their communities in different ways, from tackling the world’s biggest challenges to being a good friend. Describe one way in which you have contributed to your community, whether in your family, the classroom, your neighborhood, etc. (200-250 words)
- Describe the world you come from; for example, your family, clubs, school, community, city, or town. How has that world shaped your dreams and aspirations? (200-250 words)
- Tell us about the most significant challenge you’ve faced or something important that didn’t go according to plan. How did you manage the situation? (200-250 words)
Finally, MIT’s application includes one optional prompt with no set word limit:
No admission application can meet the needs of every individual. If you think additional information or material will give us a more thorough impression of you, please respond below.
THE KEY TO SUCCESSFUL ESSAYS
As we’ve discussed previously on the blog, the best essays for any school—including MIT—will offer a fresh perspective, an active voice, and a great opening hook. If you’re looking to apply to MIT this year, we recommend you get to work on those essays as soon as possible!